Sunday, December 17, 2006

Set 7 - The Sultan's Palace

This set, I am very proud to say was my idea. I wanted to do something 'very different' for the palace scene and had the idea of representing a bedouin tent using draped fabrics rather than just using a painted backdrop.

Each of the lengths of fabric was hemmed for strength and then 'Secretary' sewed loops to the corners for me one evening at a set build. These loops were then numbered. Hooks were screwed into the hardback and side flats so that the scene could be set quickly.

We 'made' the tent in situ to get all the lengths right and the stage crew screwed a pulley into the stage roof with a line and carabina attached to be able to hoist up the fabric quickly.

The idea for the dropcloth itself and the side flats again came from a pastel drawing done by my mate at work. The dropcloth hangs immediately in front of the hardback where the fabric is fixed.

Lyric of the Blog: " All I want is a room somewhere, Far away from the cold night air. With one enormous chair, Aow, wouldn't it be loverly? " My Fair Lady

No comments: