Saturday, December 09, 2006

Final Performance Sat 9th Dec

After some tea and putting our feet up it was time to redo the make up and don the costumes for the very last time.

Most of the audience were either CAST members who were not in the show, family and friends so it was always going to be a great night and it didn't disappoint.

I was concerned as on several previous occasions cast members have let the sense of 'last night' run away with them and people have been left cringing in the wings as the ad lib comments which have been made. Setman and the backstage crew had just the right number of additional practical jokes to amuse both the audience and the cast including a rat taped to a remote control toy car for Tommy the cat to chase, an extra large custard pie for Idle Jack and additional water pistols for the sea scene.

There were a few too many extra 'one liners' in the first half and it did start to drag a little as people lost their place in the script but overall it was a damm good show and we had the audience on their feet singing with us for the walkdown.

Unfortunately, one cast member didn't make it back on stage in time for the walkdown which I'm really sorry about and I'm sure spoilt the night for both her and her 'double act partner'. A decision was made in the interval by Director that although it would be nice to have them on stage, neither Dobbin or Father Christmas were really necessary for the community song as there were so few children in the audience and all that we needed was for Dame to keep talking long enough for the two principal characters to change into their wedding gear. So, the band were told at the end of the interval that as soon as dame finished the Community Song, they were to start playing the walkdown music straight away.

So, Dobbin was put away, ready for hire on Monday but someone decided to change the plans at the last minute, found the costume and Dobbin went on stage for the Community Song after all. That meant that because the walkdown started so quickly afterwards, the people inside didn't get chance to change out of the costume and get on stage. I guess that's the downside of going against an decision which has already been made, on the spur of the moment.

At the end of the performance the main tabs opened one final time and Dame stepped forward to thank everyone for attending and made a presentation on stage - something we NEVER do - to ME!

To say I was gobsmacked doesn't go anywhere near. I had absolutely no idea whatsoever what they were planning! I was speechless!






I am now also the proud owner of a beautiful bear called Trilogy to add to my Deans collection plus some lovely flowers and a great card which everyone had signed. WOW !









Lyric of the Blog: " This is my moment. This is my perfect moment with you. I wish I could freeze this space in time. The way that I feel for you inside. And if tomorrow brings a lonely day. Here and now I know I haven't lived in vain " Martine McCutcheon

(Posted 11/12/2006 but written 9/12/2006)

No comments: